Honey I Shrunk The Kids (1989)
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is a 1989 American comic science fiction film. The directorial debut of Joe Johnston and produced by Walt Disney Pictures, it tells the story of an inventor who accidentally shrinks his and his neighbor's kids to a quarter of an inch with his electromagnetic shrinking machine and accidentally throws them out with the trash, where they must venture into their backyard to return home while fending off insects and other obstacles.
Rick Moranis stars as Wayne Szalinski, the inventor who accidentally shrinks his children, Amy (Amy O'Neill) and Nick (Robert Oliveri). Marcia Strassman portrays his wife, Diane, to whom he delivers the titular line. Matt Frewer, Kristine Sutherland, Thomas Wilson Brown, and Jared Rushton star as Russ, Mae, Russ Jr., and Ron Thompson, the Szalinskis' next-door neighbors.
The film became an unexpected box office success, grossing in excess of $222 million worldwide, and became the highest-grossing live-action Disney film ever, a record it held for five years. It was met with positive reviews from both critics and audiences, who praised the story, visuals and innovation. Its success spawned two sequels Honey, I Blew Up the Kid in 1992 and the direct-to-video Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves in 1997, which both received mixed critical reception, as well as leading to the creation of a TV show that ran from 1997 to 2000.
Another 80s movie ahead of its time 7/10
- Rick Moranis as Wayne Szalinski
- Matt Frewer as Russell 'Russ' Thompson, Sr.
- Marcia Strassman as Diane Szalinski
- Kristine Sutherland as Mae Thompson
- Thomas Wilson Brown as Russell 'Russ' Thompson, Jr.
- Jared Rushton as Ronald 'Ron' Thompson
- Amy O'Neill as Amy Szalinski
- Robert Oliveri as Nick 'Nicky' Szalinski
- Carl Steven as Tommy Pervis
- Mark L. Taylor as Don Forrester
- Kimmy Robertson as Gloria Forrester
- Lou Cutell as Dr. Brainard
- Laura Waterbury as Female Cop
- Trevor Galtress as Male Cop
- Martin Aylett as Harold Boorstein
- Janet Sunderland as Lauren Boorstein
- Craig Richard Nelson as Prof. Frederickson (uncredited)
- Frank Welker as Special Vocal Effects (voice)
- Isabel Del Puerto